Fwd: eddy current brake

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Mon Dec 16 14:13:27 GMT 1996

>> Help me understand ..... (I've listened to related discussions re
>> ignition control for a while)
>>
>> I hear the 4 pointed star crank pickup isn't good enough to use
>> a PLL to develop nth degree resolution.
>>
>> Same for the distributor pickup.
>>
>> So, seems everyone wants to use either the flywheel teeth or a gear
>> attached to the cam (maybe even the cam gear??).  Is that right?

        [ snip ]

>> Use optical pickup sensors with digital outputs and your signal will >
have constant amplitude amd mark-space ratio just the period will > change
with engine angular velocity.  I have used this method on > several motorcycles.

Clearly, with optical there would be no rate effect as with mag sensors,
but then you've now got to contend with dirt obscuring the optics.

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>