Fwd: eddy current brake

Kalle Pihlajasaari kalle at device.data.co.za
Tue Dec 17 22:02:57 GMT 1996

Hi Tom,

> >> ???? On a 4-cycle engine, the cam turns 360 deg for two rotations of
> >> the crank, and it's the cam timing you're interested in.  So 720 degrees
> >> of crank equals 360 degrees of cam -- now you've got me wondering .....
> >> when one looks for ignition timing, are you looking at crank or cam???
> >
> >4 Stroke has cams that make one rev per spark, so timing is from the
> >cam, BUT the angle of timing advance that is doccumented is given
> >in crank degrees because that is where it was measured in the
> >past from the fanbelt pulley.
>
> Are the marks on the damper in 'crank' degrees?  I.E. if I put
> a compass on the crank and found TDC could I mark it using the
> compass?

Now that you got me thinking not sure anymore but I have always assumed
that the markings were in crank degrees and it does actually make
physical sense as well as we are talking about top-dead-center of
the piston and not the valves or something up there.  So I would say
that the protractor on the fanbelt pulley would be safe.

Easy to check though.  You know the angle from TDC to static timing
about 10 .. 20 deg so you can just check on a handy unit lying around.
If you measure 15 it sounds right.

Maximum advance of 22 degrees could not reasonably be expected to
correspond to a grank advance of 44 deg, that would be a bit much
for me.

Cheers     *<<<-|
--
Kalle Pihlajasaari   kalle at ip.co.za   http://www.ip.co.za/ip
Interface Products   P O Box 15775, DOORNFONTEIN, 2028, South Africa