O2-sensor on carb (sorry) engine - Slant 6

Mike Olsson Mike.Olsson at eu.pnu.com
Thu Dec 19 12:24:51 GMT 1996

     Dear EFI-gurus,

     I threw out a question last week on EFI for the slant 6. I didn't get
     any answers, so I guess there are not many of you out there who has
     tried on such a project.

     I've contacted some aftermarket sources and there are a handful to
     choose from, but there are two major problems: I don't want to be the
     first person ever trying to make this work - I need to get some
     feedback from anyone who has converted a slant 6 to EFI. Please, if
     you know of any such project - let me know.

     Secondly - it's really too expensive to invest $1500 in an aftermarket
     system. With my lack of experience I could end up with a system not
     much better than my Weber carb.

     I believe I have a very versatile and "tweekable" carb (Weber 32/36
     DGAV) and it should be possible to get it run close to optimum at most
     speeds. I can adjust, individually, the fuel-air mixture for idle,
     low-speed, normal speed, full throttle and acceleration for low rpm:s
     as well as higher rpm. The problem is that I find it a bit difficult
     and time-consuming as the different systems affect one another in a
     complex way.

     I understand that the fuel-air mixture for example at cruising speeds
     should be 14,7:1. I want to get my carb as close to this as possible.
     My idea is to install an O2-sensor and thus benefit from it's readings
     to optimize the carb.

     What is the actual electrical output from an O2-sensor (mV, mA, ohm)?
     I would like to connect it to a meter placed at the instrument panel;
     giving me the best possibility to adjust the carb.

     Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

     Mike Olsson, Stockholm, Sweden.

     mike.olsson at eu.pnu.com

     '65 Valiant wagon (daily driver)
     '68 Mustang convertible