SB Chevy retrofit, Accel vs. Edelbrock?

John Hess JohnH at ixc-comm.net
Mon Dec 23 17:57:46 GMT 1996

For an autocross car, you might consider the essentially stock TPI
system off an early '86  engine.  It will build the torque you need
AND you should be able to get the essential parts (including the
computer) junked out somewhere.  I have seen the complete systems
listed for as little as $500.

Note that you need the early model (iron heads) '86 model, though.
 The later models changed out the manifold mounting bolt
configuration.  You will probably want to modify the left (driver
side) fuel rail and manifold (plug the cold start injector and fuel
source for same) and run the '89 series EPROM (this changes the cold
start fuel enrichment to the computer, rather than the extra
injector...just another part to go wrong!).

As an alternative, you might go for aftermarket heads, in which case,
go for the '89 system, complete.

John

(Opinions are like assholes.  Every one has one and they all stink!)