Throttle Body Size

John Hess JohnH at ixc-comm.net
Mon Dec 30 23:34:55 GMT 1996

Ah, carburetors do like velocity, don't they.  There are several
problems that you might see if the throttle body on a fuel injection
system gets too large.

Off throttle becomes ragged.
Wide open throttle drops the vacuum in the plenum too far and
adversely effects the MAP sensor.
Cruise becomes a real problem, as you now cruise at a barely open
throttle position.
Torque suffers due to no velocity at low RPM.
High RPM Horsepower is normally better.

Several other things I don't want to take the time to type in.

Note that matching the carburetor to the desired engine
characteristics was much more critical than matching the throttle
body, though.