Sensor Questions?

SRavet at bangate.compaq.com SRavet at bangate.compaq.com
Thu Feb 1 00:35:45 GMT 1996

FIScot at aol.com Wrote:

|     Subj:   re: Re: Sensor Questions?
|     Date:   96-01-30 19:26:41 EST
|     From:   SRavet at bangate.compaq.com
|

|   > Interesting, Scot.  It doesn't seem that there is really a need for a
|   > MAF, then.  Is MAF just an aid to enable the CPU to learn better?  Or
|   > is there a MAF term in the fuel equation?
|
|     Right, the MAF term was included in the right hand part of the
|     equation.  The MAF is the primary input the cpu considers for
injecting
|     fuel.  The BLM is a correction term.  (MAF = Mass AirFlow sensor)
|
|     Scot Sealander   FIScot at aol.com

Oh man, now I'm confused.  MAF isn't good as the basis for fuel injection
alone, since the amount of air past the MAF sensor isn't necessarily the
amount of air into the engine.  Remember the plenum stores air, so a sudden
increase in the amount of required air will draw a vacuum on the plenum
before the MAF actually sees the increase  in airflow.  So I've been told
that even MAF based systems use SD for the basic pulse width, and the MAF
term is just a learning input.  Besides, as Scott explained earlier, SD
systems are perfectly capable of learning about engine modifications, so
what's the need for MAF?  Is this true or not?

Steve Ravet
sravet at bangate.compaq.com
Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...