Engine codes

m_mcdonald at marx.ENET.dec.com m_mcdonald at marx.ENET.dec.com
Fri Feb 2 14:57:09 GMT 1996

>> At 12:43 AM 2/1/96 EST, Will McGonegal wrote:
>> ... if anyone is still interested in trying to figure out the port
>> themselves, I can pass along the information needed to set up the baud rate
>> and the circuitry used in the RS232 interface.

> Yes, I would be very interested in geting any information that might help me
> extract data from my GM TPI ECM.  Since I'm not interested in extracting
> data from all GM computers ever made,  this MIGHT be just what the doctor
> ordered.

> Thanks a million,

> George M. Dailey  gmd at tecinfo.com

Rinda Technologies in Chicago has an excellent hardware/software package
named DIACOM.  Its basic price for a wide variety of GM and Chrysler
(but not Ford :-( ) cars is $300-$400.  The package connects a GM car's
ALDL to an inexpensive laptop PC and displays all kinds of information
from the car's serial data stream.

Rinda is in Chicago, Illinois and their toll-free number is 800-888-4146.
They charge $5.00 for a demonstration diskette and advertising.  You
can obtain this demonstration software on CompuServe.  Begin with

GO AUTO or GO AUTOS or GO CAR or GO CARS

and get to the FOR TECHS ONLY forum.  Look for files whose keywords
include DIACOM -- there's probably only one of them.  Download the
file and run it on your PC.

Unless you're a computer hacker who understands parallel port programming
and data communication protocols, you're much better off buying the package
from Rinda Technologies.  I have no connection with this company other than
being impressed by their demonstration software.

Marll McDonald   KB1AGM
m_mcdonald at marx.enet.dec.com