more MAF sensor types

dn dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Mon Feb 5 01:51:30 GMT 1996

Bryan Zublin wrote:

> It would be great if we had some hard data on the web site regarding the
> calibration curves of various MAF sensors.  Until then, maybe start a
> general info section.

This would indeed be a useful resource.  I'll try to fill you in with some
more data on MAF sensors I've uncovered while doing research on the 555 EFI
thingie, and add some to Bryan's list, after I have put it all together...

Meanwhile, a couple of useful references I have found so far:

Domestic Electronic Fuel Injection and Computer Systems
Frederick D. Allen
Prentice-hall
ISBN # 0-13-218256-4
Pub 1988

This is a good general reference which describes sensors, ECU functions,
etc, and give some troubleshooting info.  Covers most systems used by the
Big 3, but lacks technical (read "electronic") detail.  Obviously written
for the Engine Service Technician.

The next general reference is actually several references.  These are
aftermarket parts suppliers catalogs, such as Carter/Federal Mogul,
Standard, Blue Streak, Echlin, etc, who all manufacture replacement
parts for ignition and EFI systems.  These contain valuable references
to make, model, and year, as well as in some cases OEM part numbers, etc.
It is sometimes interesting to note how many models are covered by a few
replacement part #'s, indicating that they all function similarly.  A lot
of stuff differs only in physical appearance, (perhaps an elbow on one MAF,
but an identical one without an elbow, etc.)

They generally also contain pictures of all the devices, cross references,
etc. which are invaluable in selecting a goodie to fit your application.
You can also, with a little perserverence, backtrack from some known
application to find other makes, models, and years which use the same
device.  This is useful in junkyard searches.  Again, however, they lack
any technical specifications whatsoever, which is a pain in the kister.

I got mine from my local auto parts store, I just went in and asked if they
had any outdated catalogs kicking around.  Ended up with a stack about
a foot high for free.  You could also probably request them direct from
the manufacturer.

regards,
dn

 Darrell A. Norquay              Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
 Datalog Technology Inc.         Bang: calgary!debug!dlogtech!darrell
 Calgary, Alberta, Canada        Voice: +1 (403) 243-2220
                                 Fax:   +1 (403) 243-2872
    @ +
     <
    __/    "Absolutum Obsoletum" - If it works, it's obsolete