IAC

ARTHUR OKUN arthurok at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 5 05:58:38 GMT 1996

You wrote:

>     On the subject of the GM IAC(idle air controller) for the TPI
engines.
>     Does anyone know of a replacement, working of sensing the
temperature
>     or similar, ie. some sort of bi-metal spring system.  The problem
is
>     that I need some sort of idle stabilisation on a TPI system but
the
>     ECU does not allow for control of the standard IAC.
>
>     Is it possible to leave the IAC off all together?
>
>     Any ideas will be appreciated.  Preferably the parts should be
>     available of Australian cars, since US parts are to expensive
over
>     here.
>

>     Dan        dzorde at aesprodata.com.au

the iac is just a little stepping motor  gm bottoms it shut at start
and then backs it off a a certain number of steps to control idle
mixture air and also as a deceleration valve during throttle release
closing. what sort of ecm are you using?
ford uses a solonoid thats pwm to do the same thing  but ive heard the
gm stepper works better and smother as long as the valve lead screw is
kept clean (i own a iac gm ).
maybe i could design a little gaget using a pic16 up.