MAF Sensors and Re:Spell Check

ducharme at eiss1.psf.ge.com ducharme at eiss1.psf.ge.com
Wed Feb 7 15:42:08 GMT 1996

Alain Marchildon wrote:

>OK
>The bickering has went on long enough.
>I will reply be my self.
>And terminate it my self.

Time to throw my 2 cents in -
As a third generation American of French Canadian decent, give the guy a break!

Alain, c'est ne pas votre probleme, ca va?  :-{)>

Sometimes *I* write worse in English.  Maybe it's in our genes.

Getting back to DIY_EFI, does anyone have more information, including the
governing equations on hot-wire mass air flow sensors - I may have to work one
up for my Briggs & Stratton project.  Single cylinder engines (especially
leaky flatheads like the B&S) have a horrible (to non-existent) vacuum signal
to work with, and I'm not likely to find a MAF sensor with a 1" throat at my
Ford dealer.  Since the system I'm designing needs to be altitude sensitive, a
MAF may be a better approach.  The original plan was to use MAP and gather data
on the test stand, but time is getting short and a MAF interfaced to a lookup
table may be a far better choice than a MAP that may be reading noise.

I'm assuming that the MAF hot wire is fed with a constant current and the
voltage variation due to temperature-dependent change of resistance is the
output that is conditioned further.  If anyone has any more info it would be
much appreciated.

MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure
MAF - Mass Air Flow
B&S - Briggs & Stratton, maker of most of the world's lawn mower engines.

Cliff Ducharme
                                         /
"A wing and a prayer"           _______[*]_______
                                    b  /    d

My remarks do not reflect the opinions of my employer.