Sequential Setup?

thomas walter x5955 walter at roadster.sps.mot.com
Thu Feb 8 22:01:02 GMT 1996

Phillip,

There has been some discussion on this list regarding
the subject of sequential vs. a 'batch' method of firing
the fuel injectors. You may find some material by using
the majordomo server to obtain the archeived messages.
(send mail to majordomo at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
with just the word 'help' in the body of the message)

At WOT (Wide Open Throttle) a properly sized fuel injector
will be on almost 90% of the time, so there is little difference
between sequential or batch methods.

At idle and partial throttle is where you would expect the
largest gains in performanace/economy. I have heard figures
ranging from 2% to 10% improvements by properly timing
the injection on sequential injections.

For sequential injection, most common method, is to time
the injector to CLOSE with the closing of the intake
valve.

Would be an interesting experiment to use an engine
dyno and modify the software to test these various
parameters to see which method  produces the best results.

I know of one engineer who was startled by the difference
when they optomized the timing of a sequential fuel injection
system.  I just want to get my running! :-)

Cheers,

Tom "who needs a proof reader" Walter
Austin, TX.