True dual exhaust and O2 Sensors

J.W. Harris jwharris at holli.com
Thu Feb 8 23:49:28 GMT 1996

Do I need to install a second O2 sensor? Would this sensor be
>>connected parallel to the original or does the EEIV have an input for a
>>second sensor?

If I were trying to do this I'd do electronically what the single sensor
does on the vehicle - average the singals.

Use a low input current op anp to sum the inputs and divide the result
by two.  The circuit needs to have high input impedance (~2 meg.) and
the output must be divided by two (gain of .5 with precision resistors)

I'm not sure exactly what this would do the O2 diagnostic when its cold.
Ours applay a .45 volt bias to the sensor.  When it heats up, the impednace
of the sensor drops, overriding the bias.  You should be able to run the
thing from a single supply but use an op amp and circuitry designed to opeate
from a single supply with low input voltages.  I forget the name of the
parameter of interest.
J.W. Harris                           Delco Electronics Corp.
Project Engineer                      One Corporate Center
Powertrain Electronics                M.S. CT40C
                                      Kokomo, IN 46904-9005
jwharris at eng.delcoelect.com
jwharris at holli.com

Of course, all responses are my own and should not be mistaken
for those of Delco Electronics or General Motors.