Electronics suppliers

dn dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Fri Feb 9 03:13:18 GMT 1996

> What are good places to get electronics stuff? Could you provide me with
> the names, numbers, and costs of catalogs plus your personal thoughts on
> them.

Read on...

> Archer [Radio shack] : They've got thier good and bad points.

Mostly bad.  In general, stay away unless you need something at 4:30 on
a saturday afternoon...

> If anyone knows about a company called  ____***ARROW***____ please give me
> information. They are a good supplier and carry buttloads of stuff.

Arrow is a huge supplier, but generally they don't like to talk to you
unless you want to buy large quantites.  Their policy is not to accept
orders of less than $100 PER ITEM.  Ie, you have to buy $100 worth of
a single part number.

Future/Active Electronics is a good supplier, Future is the industrial
(read "quantity") arm, and Active have stores where they sell just about
everything in small quantities, bagged and priced accordingly.  Like
Radio Shack, but no consumer goods (stereos, etc.) and with 1000 times
the variety.  Active is probably your best bet, they should have a store
in most larger cities, and have damn near everything you could want in
stock.  All I know about their US operation is that they have head
office in Boston.

Newark Electronics is another large supplier, but again, they are geared
to industrial customers, but will sell small quantities, prices are a
bit steep, but not too bad.  Their catalog has everything including the
kitchen sink, (over 1500 pages) and is available free @ 1-800-463-9275

Hamilton Hallmark is another supplier who stocks a lot of parts.

America II Electronics specialize in microprocessor related stuff.

I could go on with more, but you're better off to do a little research
on your own.  I'm up in Canada, so I don't have American addresses
and phone numbers for most of these places, but you can look them up
in the Thomas Registry at your local library.  Another good source
is any electronics hobbyist magazine, such as Popular Electronics
which have zillions of ads for mail order and surplus houses in the
back.  Most of these companies will send you a catalog for free,
just ask...

regards
dn

 Darrell A. Norquay              Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
 Datalog Technology Inc.         Bang: calgary!debug!dlogtech!darrell
 Calgary, Alberta, Canada        Voice: +1 (403) 243-2220
                                 Fax:   +1 (403) 243-2872
    @ +
     <
    __/    "Absolutum Obsoletum" - If it works, it's obsolete