Sensor Questions?

Fred Miranda fcmefi at fishnet.net
Fri Feb 9 06:23:32 GMT 1996

>Let me explain the crux of the problem: if the MAF sensor is located
>upstream of the throttle body, there will always be a delay during
>throttle transients. Air is compliant, like a spring. As an extreme
>but common example, when you go to WOT it takes time for the manifold
>to fill with air at atmospheric pressure because it was at some level
>of vacuum just prior to throttle opening. On top of that, the engine
>is always "draining" the manifold. By the time the MAF sensor "sees"
>this demand for air fill the manifold(and asked the ECU to provide
>more fuel), the engine has consumed enough air(and sped up) to cause a
>lean stumble.

correct me if I'm wrong. when you go from hi vac to WOT, the only air to enter
the cylinders is previously measured air between the throttle and the MAF
and  air passing through the MAF. So the only error would be in not measuring
that volume between T-body and MAF. Unless the distance is large I don't
see it  as a problem.

In my limited experience in tuning with MAF (1 car, switched from speed density
to MAF) I found the required acceleration enrichments dropped and the general
drivability improved.

Fred