MAP Questions...

robert dingli r.dingli at ee.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Feb 13 00:50:18 GMT 1996

Jim Staff asks,

>     Well, now that I know a ton about MAF. I came to a great revolation. I
> checked the minimum air flow specs and I'm not even close to the turn on flow at
> full power!!!!!
>     So much for the power of a briggs and stratton. But a MAP sensor is the next
> bet, or any Barametric Pressure Sensor. Does anyone know of any good ones?
>     What are the dimesions of you average MAP? <asking for something like
> hieght, width, etc>
>     What is the output type, and range? <Analog voltage,frequency,PWM etc>
> Analog Prefered of course.

Jim, have you considered a simple speed throttle system using throttle position
and rpm to index a map?

Throttle density systems are common on individual throttle body intakes
especially for ported rotaries and agressive cam piston engines.

I have seen many successful (usually racing) applications where MAP of MAF
sensors are useless.  You could adjust for ambient air pressure if you prefer.

regards,
Robert

    Robert Dingli   r.dingli at ee.mu.oz.au
Power and Control Systems    (+613) 9344 7966
Thermodynamics Research Labs (+613) 9344 7712
     University of Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
**  he who dies with the most toys, wins  **