MAP Questions...

Steve Baldwin steveb at kcbbs.gen.nz
Thu Feb 15 04:48:13 GMT 1996

> Quick question:  Do you REALLY want a computer controlling your throttle
> position?  Face it, a throttle cable (or linkage) and return spring is
> a pretty reliable, and proven, system.  It might make things a bit interesting
> if the computer decided that the throttle plate was at idle position when it
> really was at WOT.  And besides, what is wrong with a bit of lead footing?
> Next thing you know, you will be suggesting a built-in traction control
> system!  ;)  Actually, I like the idea of being able to use a traction
> control.  It would come in real handy on ice.  I just want to be able to
> choose WHEN it does its traction control thing.  Later.

Do mean like a cruise control that won't let go or a power steering
system going open loop. Even (very) assisted brakes spell death if they
pack up just as the car in front throws out all the picks.

I wouldn't be too keen on a wire-wrapped, "my first micro project" based
system but with due care and attention it's not really any different
from other technology in a car.

Steve.