MAP Questions...

Jim Staff staffj at freenet.msp.mn.us
Sat Feb 17 02:49:18 GMT 1996

  These are the different system that I could employ for my single cylinder 3.5
HP Briggs & Stratton engine Could you please tell me what system you prefer and
what you think would be best.

     1. Easy and fast II
            I use a throttle position sensor and a temp sensor I would generate
the fuel array. I would keep the O2 sensor for correction with some kind of
corrrection formula--unknown.
            Pros : Very simple and cheap. Could build really fast and get to the
testing phase.
            Cons : Not very acurate, would need to run the engine at various
temps to get all the kinks worked out. I don't know how to make a Throttle
Position Sensor, But I'm sure somebody here know or I could find it out god
knows I've found out impossible stuff already.

    2. Faster and even easier...
           Just use throttle position to make an array, with an O2 sensor to
make up for the massive problems I'm going to have with temp and pressure.

    3. Die hard [Current Position]
           Use a Pressure sensor, temp sensor, throttle position sensor, and O2
sensor. So I can make killer calculations on the effects of the ouside world. I
have problems calculating the air flow because I have no Volumetric efficiency
numbers, so I have 2 unknowns in the PV=mRTe equation. The hardware is a major
pain in the ass!!!!!!
           Pros : My lasting honor as a high school electrical enineer would be
monstorous, and I would live forever! It would work damn well. And most likely
win me money through the Duracell project scholarship!
           Cons : I have no clue how to do some things. Like the Air Mass
calculation, and make a TPS. I pray to god my op amp thing works or i'll kill
myself, along with a relatively expensive MPX2200 sensor.

   4. Rap my lips around the barrel and my toe around the trigger.... Opps not
really an option but it would save me from this hard work!!!

              Jim Staff