Really awesome TPS...

Timothy Coste tlcoste at mtu.edu
Mon Feb 19 03:00:43 GMT 1996

   Donald Whisnant (I believe) wrote...

Now, that is a "good TPS" but if you want and absolutely "fabulous TPS", and
one that is even mil spec, you will need a Resolver and a Converter circuit.
A resolver is a rotatary device that outputs a sine and cosine of the angle
at which it is position.  The military uses them in missile guidance systems.
... The great thing with a resolver is that it is basically frictionless PLUS
it is VERY VERY accurate.  AND, it is extremely water resistant (unlike your
off the shelf pots) ...  HOWEVER, they are expensive (about $300) and require
a driver/converter circuit -- also another expensive piece...   BUT, this
would be the ULTIMATE in TPS sensors...

   To which I reply...

   I'm not sure if these are exactly what you're talking about, but
from a C&H Sales Company (surplus and misc sales) catalog...

   Bearing Module #blah This unit contains...the following:
   one resolver #CSHblah, one resolver #CVHblah, one differential,
   one motor tachometer...and many high precision and anti-backlash
   gears, precision bearings, standoffs, etc. Dim.... Price: $15 US.

   Obviously (I think) a mil. spec. fire control or such unit.  They
also have a Range Module with similar stuff.  If these are what you
speak of, and if they are durable enough to most likely still be
in good shape, it may be a way to try your idea on the cheap.

   Your post jogged a little something loose in my brain (as if I
can spare any little things being jarred from my brain) and I
remembered reading about these things in this catalog and wondering
what the heck they were (and might be good for).  In the true
spirit of diy, I really get into surplus catalogs.

   Just FIY...

   Tim Coste
   tlcoste at mtu.edu