your mail

Corey Cole colec at pr.erau.edu
Tue Feb 20 04:40:27 GMT 1996

On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Edward Hernandez wrote:

> "YOW!!! That's a LOT of engine for that car!!!... " reader's reaction
> to putting a 455 in a Skylark.
>
> Skylarks used to come from the factory with 455s, as did Delta 88s,
> and Firebirds(Pontiac and Olds had their own 455s). The baddest was a
> 1970 Skylark GS Stage II, if I remember history. No, I'm not that
> old(born '68) but I am a big fan of sixties muscle, and 1970 was the
> last hurrah for reckless abandon of cubic inches. The GS Stage II
> allegedly ran 12s off the showroom floor on street tires. Even if it
> didn't, it must have been some ride!

The Stage 2 spec 455 is what I'm looking at putting into the old beast.
The best motor for the year chassis I have was a boat anchor 401 ( I
shouldn't dog it, but it's just too heavy)  I'd like to see decent
mileage and drivability (like decent mileage is possible with 400+ hp and
455 cu. in.)

As far as running 12s, I'd believe it.  The Stage 1s ran 13's - 14's at
4000-4200 lbs.

 Corey Cole					colec at pr.erau.edu
 '65 Skylark
"Knowledge is power...but cubic inches help."		Go #24!!!!!

I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
and I went to pick her up in the rain.
But before I could get to the station in my pick up truck,
she got runned over by the darned old train...
						David Allen Coe
						Steve Goodman