Intake runner sizing..

Mark Boxsell mrb at mpx.com.au
Thu Feb 22 10:08:17 GMT 1996

At 07:49 PM 21/02/96 -0100, you wrote:

>> Variable intake length would be fun - could you have the butterflys in a
>> fixed position and use variable length trumpets, or do you mean variable
>> length by changing it with several butterflys to turn on/off extra
>> tubing. Hmm.. so if I had 4 feet of tube would the torque peak be at
>> idle?? :-) (It's an automatic).
>
>this sounds like a great subject for a project. Let's see, sliding tubes
>driven by a servo motor linked to rpm sensing... hmmm might work, if only
>I could work out how to fit all that plumbing under the hood.
>
>Later,
>
>Jim Sturcbecher
>jsturs at bart.nl

Jim,
          What do you think Mazda used to win Le Mans (1993 I think). Their
triple rotor engine had a servo system like you propose. They had a
serperate map just for inlet position (length). There is an SAE paper on
this I will see if I can find the number. F1 has used this for a while. I
think you guy's have to read more it's all out there if you look.
                        regards,
                                        Mark Boxsell
                                        MRB Design.