Intake runner sizing..

Mark Boxsell mrb at mpx.com.au
Fri Feb 23 09:51:05 GMT 1996

>"Why use RPM sensing? The tuned length should change with air temp,
>pressure, etc."
>
> No, the character of the curve you get with a given intake geometry
>changes with RPM only. Air temp and pressure can be considered DC
>offsets for that curve.

Correct. The speed of sound in air is hardly affected by changes in
temperature due to atmospheric factors.  A tuned exhaust however is a
different ball game!

>"I would assume that greater air flow would lead to  higher MAP values
>and the ECM would adjust the fuel mixture  accordingly."
>
>Greater airflow does not necessarily relate to greater MAP pressure
>because most MAP sensors are located in the plenum of an intake. If
>you improve the airflow downstream of the plenum, the MAP sensor will
>never know it. Furthermore, a nicely tuned intake will not affect MAP
>yet can really boost engine performance, particularly at low rpm where
> airflow is low and corresponding flow losses are negligible.

The pressure waves travel so fast that measuring it with a ("normal") map
sensor is out of the question. Anyway that's what you have a VE table for.

                                regards,
                                                Mark Boxsell
                                                MRB Design.

VE = Volumetric effiency.