FW: Buick DIS coil drivers

J.W. Harris jwharris at holli.com
Fri Feb 23 23:29:54 GMT 1996

>training manual, publication 16009.10-1. Mine is dated 1986.  The operation
of a
>number of other peripherals is covered as well as wiring diagrams and signal
>descriptions.
>
>The coil base is controlled by several signals and emits a 6 pulse per
revolution
>tachometer signal.
>
>Timing comes from a notched disk that stimulates a cheap ($20) probe to
produce a
>positive then negitive pulse at six symetrical locations pluss one
additional, oddly spaced
>notch to track  tdc/tbc of cyl #1.

This is the 3.1, 3.4, 3.4 DOHC sensor.  The Buick 3800 module uses an 18x
hall sensor and a 3x sensor which produces three pulses of unequal width.
refer to the manual described above.
  If you want to distinguish between cylinders you will have to look at the cam
>with another sensor.
J.W. Harris                           Delco Electronics Corp.
Project Engineer                      One Corporate Center
Powertrain Electronics                M.S. CT40C
                                      Kokomo, IN 46904-9005
jwharris at eng.delcoelect.com
jwharris at holli.com

Of course, all responses are my own and should not be mistaken
for those of Delco Electronics or General Motors.