Non-turbo turbo

einarp einarp at ade.no
Mon Feb 26 09:34:16 GMT 1996

Re: Electriaclly driven supercharger.

>This motor would also put quite a load on the electrical system on the
>car. The size I'm thinking is a small starter motor, for the torque.
>Would have to spin at a low speed, to stop itself from flying to bits.

Alfa Romeo used two "turbos" where the turbine side were replaced
by hydraulic motors. There was a hydraulic pump driven directly
by the engine. They were said to give boost right from low RPM.
And with no need for regulation (like a wastegate on a turbo).
This was done back in 196<mumble>.

--
einarp at ade.no  ( Maserati Biturbo Spyder )