Blow off valve

Jeff Hansen jhansen777 at gnn.com
Mon Feb 26 21:10:54 GMT 1996

>If the blowoff valve were controlled by the engine management unit,
>the blowoff valve could be opened _fully_ when going off throttle.
>(The EFI unit already have the data to detect this condition.)
>Then the turbo should have less resistance and keep the speeed.
>Right or wrong?

That makes sense to me, but I have also been wondering about the turbine
side. Wouldn't the turbine be trying to pull a vacuum through the engine
during throttle-lift and cause the turbo to spin down? If so, the same
concept could be applied to the exhaust side by using an electronicly
actuated wastegate. What do you think?

I have been thinking about this because I was considering implementing some
sort of electronic wastegate to allow the boost limit to adjust from 12-15
pounds at low rpm to 7-10 pounds at red-line. Why? Well the way I see it
there are all sorts of restrictions to power at the top end (air-flow,
exhaust-flow, fuel-flow) that disappear at say half red-line why not take
advantage of them? Any comments?

Jeff Hansen
Anaheim, California, USA
JHansen777 at gnn.com