B&S fuel-pump

Tommy.Palm at oron.ds.sll.se Tommy.Palm at oron.ds.sll.se
Tue Feb 27 14:55:50 GMT 1996

Item Subject: Meddelandetext

>Hans wrote:
>>
>> My problem is to DRIVE the pump!
>> A Bosch-car-fuel-pump consumes around 12 V 58W,
>> my alternator brings 6V 60W. Aren't there any belt- or vacuum driven
>> fuel-pumps?
>
>Darrel wrote:

>Another suggestion:  I believe that Volkswagen Beetles used a small
>electric pump to run the gas powered heater, this may be suitable for a
>small 2 cyl engine, although I have no idea what kind of pressure it puts
>out...

Hello!
I did a small test yesterday for you. I had 5 different injectionfuelpumps in
my private collection and tried for fun a D-jett 12V from a -72 mercedes, it's
the same on every old Bosch d-jett i've seen. Volvo P-1800 had a pump with only
2 Amp current though. These ordinary ones draw 3,15 amp at 12volt and 2,5 bar
(37 psi). I tried it with lower voltage and it starts at only 1,6 volts and
pumps fairly good at 6 volts and draws then 2,95 amps (17-18 watt). I did i
with real fuel and 2,5 bars pressureregulator. I guess you will use even lower
fuelpress. It's possible to dissassemble and do a gearbox drive from the engine
but then you will have some problems to reach full fuelpress before starting
engine. I also have the smaller VW pump Darrel mentioned but it's also a low
press pump, not suitable for normal injectors. Hope this gave you hope!

Tommy
tommy.palm at oron.ds.sll.se