Thoughts on crank angle sensing

Paul E. Campbell pecampbe at mtu.edu
Wed Feb 28 04:48:01 GMT 1996

> >I've been thinking about high resolution crank angle sensors lately..what does
> >anyone think about the following ideas?
> >
> >First, I want to get away from doing all the work in the CPU (reducing load
> >on the CPU)..but, I still want a measurement of maximum torque angle, position,
> >and overall velocity.
> >
> >Position is simple..the usual missing pulse detector will pick it out. And
> >then position itself can be handled by cleaning up a high resolution crank
> >angle sensor (200+ teeth) and sending the pulse train to a counter..the
> >missing pulse detector triggers the reset. This provides an instantaneous
> >angle position by simply reading the counter.
>
> Yes, if you can get a 200 tooth wheel.

I could make one on the milling machines here but I had a slightly different
idea..why not use an optical sensor instead of a hall effect sensor? The only
advantage of the hall effect sensor is that it is immune to dirt..but since
this is experimental anyway, I think I can do a good enough job of either
keeping it all clean or sealing it. Then just take a drill to your choice of
metal or plastic disks and punch out the required holes.

[Simple fast counter versions deleted]