Non-turbo turbo

Mitsu16v at aol.com Mitsu16v at aol.com
Wed Feb 28 20:04:58 GMT 1996

>Re: Electriaclly driven supercharger.
>
>>This motor would also put quite a load on the electrical system on the
>>car. The size I'm thinking is a small starter motor, for the torque.
>>Would have to spin at a low speed, to stop itself from flying to bits.
>
>Alfa Romeo used two "turbos" where the turbine side were replaced
>by hydraulic motors. There was a hydraulic pump driven directly
>by the engine. They were said to give boost right from low RPM.
>And with no need for regulation (like a wastegate on a turbo).
>This was done back in 196<mumble>.

Hmmm.. how interesting... I seem to have reinvented the wheel... I have
thought of using either a model jet airplane ducted-fan engine, or highspeed
constant duty electrical motors through gear reduction, to turn a turbo on my
Eclipse...
There I go re-inventing the wheel again I suppose :>

Not bad for someone with no formal engineering school though, eh??

:::tooting my own horn shamelessly::::::::

Soooo.. whad'ya think??