More EFI vendor info >> SDS EM-1

Craig Pugsley c.pugsley at trl.telstra.com.au
Wed Jan 3 00:12:01 GMT 1996

> Here's some info from their flyer/ads:
>
> Simple Digital Systems EM-1

By the description of the features it sounds a lot like a re-badged
Injec EM1 (with a 4 line LCD, two sets of up/down arrow keys, a MNU and
a ENT button).

they have an, err.., unusual way of doing the main fuel map. it had 2
load settings x20 RPM. I sure hope they interpolate.

IMO, a front LCD panel is useful, especially if you haven't got a
laptop, however there is no way it can be as easy as a good GUI
interface.

A few suggestions for the 332/general DIY_EFI user interface:
1/ The 'Haltech method' is very logical (even to some mechanics I know)
2/ A 3D map display would be usefull, but only to display the overall
   picture of the map-NOT to set it.
3/ I'd very much like to see the control commands going to/from the
   EFI box be in human readable form. eg to set the time at the 5 inch
   vac, 1000 RPM point to 7.5ms it could be
   SETFUELMAP 5.0,1000,7.5
   alternatively, if it is in hex form the ECU could more easily digest
   the info (eg SETFUELMAP 4A,05,1A - obviously depends on the system)
   Having this would make scan tools un-nessecary or obsolete.
4/ As in 3/, if the data coming back is human readable you could
   virtually diagnose problems just by reading the data stream with
   a terminal emulator.
5/ Did anyone come up with the 'EFI bus' discussed when DIY_EFI
   started? Or has this been swallowed up by the overall 332 system?
   I was thinking for the system I'm hacking with to have the processor
   board connected to the peripheral board by a 40 way header (or
   similar). This way any updates to either board wouldn't make the
   entire system obsolete.
6/ as in 5/, I'd like to see a standardised 'DIY_EFI' ECU <--> real
   world connector, such as one of the high density round 'military'
   connectors or preferably a flat wide connector like OEMS (maybe
   even use GM weatherpak type connectors). Whatever it is it should
   have easy world wide availability and be reasonable in price. (DB25
   ?? ;-)

   This way any box made by a DIY_EFI person should be plug compatible.
   the connector should have provision for _reasonable_ features
   (eg 12 injector drives and 6 coils and 4 oxygen etc etc would be
   overkill.. perhaps even have 2 connectors-a'basic' with maybe 8-10
   wires for a simple configuration and an 'extended' with the other 50 pins

If this stuff is standardised here, maybe other manufacturers will make
their stuff to the same standard (hey.. is that a pig flying :-D
I presume the SAE don't have any standards on this??

Cheers,
Craig.