Gasification

Peter Wales pjwales at magicnet.net
Thu Jan 4 03:49:16 GMT 1996

These threads which have discussed injecting on the back of valves and
preheating the mixture remind me of a project I started many years ago, and
never finished. Maybe I could resurrect it?

The premise was that the most efficient combustion would be of a gas. This
would mean transferring the vapour into a gaseous state, which I believe has
infinitely small droplet size. Heating the liquid to give it energy would
approach this, but is impractical for obvious inlet temperature reasons.

The solution I decided to approach was that of ultrasonic vibrations, and I
looked for an ultrasonic device which would atomise the vapour into a gas.
The reason for this is that the smaller the droplet size, the faster it
burns and thus the more complete combustion, by the time the gas reaches the
exhaust. Vibrating the liquid ultrasonically should break it up into micro
droplets. I found a transducer, but it was $7000 and this was out of reach
of my casual research budget.

I later heard of Plessey in England making some prototypes of an ultrasonic
injector, but the manufacturers of the vehicles were not interested and so
the project was dropped and by the time I got to it, all of the injectors
had disappeared. I have since heard of many other attempts to produce
gaseous mixtures, none of which have come to market.

Does anyone know of anything which is now available which could prompt
further research into this project?

Peter Wales
President Superchips Inc
Chairman Superchips Ltd        "Timing is everything"