Gasification

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Thu Jan 4 19:48:51 GMT 1996

-> The premise was that the most efficient combustion would be of a gas.
-> This would mean transferring the vapour into a gaseous state,

 One problem is, with the fuel in a gaseous state, it will displace more
of the volume of the inlet air charge.  Any efficiency increases will
have to overcome this loss first.

-> The solution I decided to approach was that of ultrasonic vibrations,
-> and I looked for an ultrasonic device which would atomise the vapour
-> into a gas.

 That's an idea that has occurred to many of us.  I found mention of
attempts to do this as early as the 1950s.  Bendix and Texaco did some
serious research on it in the '70s.  Someone actually had such a system
for sale around that time.

-> The reason for this is that the smaller the droplet size, the faster
-> it burns and thus the more complete combustion, by the time the gas

 Despite up-front speculation, things don't appear to work that way.
BMEP/BTU for propane and NG are no better than for gasoline engines,
except at very low RPM.

 There is some indication that droplet size does have an effect on
combustion.  David Vizard has published some wrt differences between
Weber and Dell'Orto carburetors.  Gordon Jennings did some on
motorcycle carburetors.  There is a small amount of documented work on
droplet size available from the SAE and IMechE, but all I've found seems
to be targeted at Diesel or water/gasoline emulsions.  The Vizard and
Jennings articles both mention the differences are mainly at low RPM and
idle.

-> Does anyone know of anything which is now available which could
-> prompt further research into this project?

 It seems to be pretty much a dead end from the horsepower point of
view.  Conventional injection seems to be enough to keep the ecoNazis
from tightening the garrotte any more.

====dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us========================DoD#978=======
  can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
==5.0 RX7 -> Tyrannosaurus RX! == SAE '82 == Denizens of Doom M/C '92==