Gasification

Clinton L. Corbin CCORBIN at INTEL7.intel.com
Sat Jan 6 03:44:29 GMT 1996

>Hey there,
>
>It was asked if efficiencies came from the turbo or "gasification".  Like
>jets engines that use regeneration, some of energy that is lost out thru the
>exhausr pipe is "pumped" back into the engine.  Gee, I actually learned
>something in Thermo.
>
>See ya,
>
>Mike

Just want to add my two cents about this engine!  If I remember right, he was
heating the air BEFORE it was compressed.  The regeneration used on turbines is
AFTER compression, but before it reaches the combustion chamber.  Adding heat
after compression is good, adding it before is bad.  That was one area of that
motor that just didn't ring true.  Besides, you can bet you bottom dollar that
if this motor was really so great, GM or Ford (or Honda, or Toyota, or ...)
would have jumped on it.  Look how much money they spend each year trying to
make motors just a little bit "cleaner" and a little bit more fuel efficient.
Any of the "it was bought out because it was too good" conspiricies (SP?) are a
joke.  The laws of thermodynamics are pretty much set.  One more thing to think
about: if it really was so good, way didn't they release any hard data on the
thing?  Just something to think about.

Clint
ccorbin at intel7.intel.com    --  Needless to say, nothing I chat about has
				anything to do with my employer.