Honda LAF sensor...

Timothy Coste tlcoste at mtu.edu
Sat Jan 13 05:59:44 GMT 1996

Hi all,

   Before I get to my comment/question, I thought I'd give a little
background of myself, as this is the first time I've posted to the
list.  I'm current;y finishing up my Ph.D. research at Michigan
Tehnological University (in the farthest north of the UP of MI).
My research is on fuel injection systems...specifically, I've
been developing and using a fiber-optic based sensor in the intake
of a Ford 1.9l engine to measure port wall wetting and trying to
correlate the film readings with engine out emissions, in cylinder
pressure data, and the effects of changing fuel preparation (through
injector design and phasing).  (Long winded sentence...can you tell
I'm working on my Ph.D.? :) )  As a mech. eng., some of the
electrical playing discussed here is out of my league as far as
practical applications, but the topics have been very interesting
so far and hopefully I can learn more.  Is there any good resources
around for learning how to modify software in factory ECU's?

   On to the reason for this post.  In the Dec. '95 Automotive
Engineering (SAE monthly mag) there was an article on the Honda
VTEC-E Civic.  In it, it said that the man. x-mission cars would
have a linear air fuel (LAF) sensor to handle the 22:1 ratio that
the engine can operate at.  It didn't say if it was also linear
on the important end (rich), but if so, it should bode well for
the price of LAF sensors to come down rapidly.  I can't imagine
Honda putting an $800-1000 LAF sensor in a Civic.  Does anyone
know anymore about these?  I've seen a lot of articles on Hondas
lean burn engines, but I don't remember any technical references
to their A/F sensors.  Hopefully the end result will be a $100
LAF you can pick up at a parts store!

   Thanks for listening, and I hope I can learn a lot and contribute
at least a little to the list.

   Tim Coste
   tlcoste at mtu.edu