MAP sensor calibration

Donald Whisnant dewhisna at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 16 00:26:54 GMT 1996

>From: masmith <masmith089 at qnet.com>
>Date: Sat, 13 Jan 96 23:53 PST
>Subject: Re: MAP sensor calibration
>
>At 07:45 PM 1/12/96 -0800, you wrote:
>>Instead of having to use charts to calibrate a MAP sensor -- charts that
>>have been derived from some "standard, ideal condition MAP sensor" -- why
>>not create your own chart for your own MAP sensor?
>>...  Then get enough mercury from your favorite chemistry/hobby supply store
>>1 quart of fluid) ---  BE CAREFUL NOT TO SPILL THE MERCURY AS IT PRODUCES
>>VERY TOXIC FUMES!

>>Donald Whisnant
>>dewhisna at ix.netcom.com
>>
>mercury vapor  - the actual evaporated mercury, not an oxide or anything -
>is toxic as hell and
>the consequences are longterm.....
>
>any dense liquid could be used instead - the relevant factor of conversion
>is density relative
>to water. - the tubes will have to be longer....
>for example
>motor oil - thick syrup - (anybody else got any ideas?)
>even if you have to build something 10 feet high with a step ladder, its
>still safer than slow poisoning.
>(alternatively - build it DOWN into a swimming pool for example.
>you might find it hard to buy a quart of mercury without half a dozen EPA
>forms, at least in the US anyway..
>

>Matt Smith
>masmith089 at qnet.com
>Mailer Eudora 1.5.2

True...  I guess I should have also put another disclaimer to the procedure
that I posted:  WARNING: HG FUMES ARE LETHAL.  USE ONLY IN A WELL VENTILATED
EXHAUSTED WORK AREA. ...  so now the warnings are posted so if anyone tries
this and gets Hg poisoning, don't say I didn't warn you... :)
...  And yes it is possible to buy a quart of mercury without the environment
monkeys (EPA) screwing with you :) ... ...  But as you say, it is still safer
and easier to use an Hg substitute and make a scale conversion.  .... Try
checking with Dwyer Instruments to see what substitute they recommend, I'm
sure they know of one, or probably even sell one as well... .. Perhaps a
glycerin compound?

Donald Whisnant
dewhisna at ix.netcom.com