Injectors and fuses

Bill Lewis wrl at access.digex.net
Thu Jan 18 14:05:13 GMT 1996

Remember one of Murphy's Laws is "A transistor protected by a fast
acting fuse will protect the fuse by blowing first."

If you expect the fuse to be of value, you'll have to design your output
drivers carefully.  In the case of bipolar, even if the maximum
collector current isn't exceeded, maximum power dissipation could be.

I've never seen a fuse blow in a car for any legitimate reason, only
when I was fubling around with the battery connected.  And a fuse adds a
few more connections to go bad.  Ever have any experiences with those
crappy fuses the German auto makers loved.

/Bill