Opinions on idea .....

Tommy.Palm at oron.ds.sll.se Tommy.Palm at oron.ds.sll.se
Thu Jan 18 15:36:55 GMT 1996

=

>have an idea that I want to bounce of you all.
>
>I want to build an EFI system for my project car. The car is a Mazda RX=
=2D7 =

=

 =

>The original system used a flap-type air metering device. Anyway this i=
s =

>my idea. I was going to have the air-flow meter calibrated using a =

>flow-bench or something similar to obtain Vout as a function of airflow=
=2E =

=

>there it should be simple to compute the amount of fuel required for an=
y =

>flow into the engine. Any drawback to this sort of approach, or is ther=
e =

 =

>sort of thing !!!!!
>
>Thankyou all for your help.
>
>Regards,
>
>Rob
>

>Robert D Skala
>Materials Research Group
>Curtin University of Technology
>GPO Box U1987
>Perth 6001
>WESTERN AUSTRALIA
>Telephone: +61 9 351 2331
>Fax:    +61 9 351 2377
>email: skala_rd at cc.curtin.edu.au
>

>Hello!
I'm also a small engine turbo-nutter and have so been for 14 years when =
i soon
foud out that all stock FI system did not have the fuel amount that i ne=
eded. I
needed aroud 100hp per cyl.
I started to look for a flowmeter and calibrated 2 different flap-meters=
=2E The
biggest i found in Sweden was for Alfa 164 3,0. After some more years i =
found
that every flowmeter i looked at had a too big flow restriction and it d=
oes not
play well with turbos and response. Most standard turbos don'
t like more than 0,07 bars underpress w/o leaking oil (=3Dlower maxpower=
). I did
some very interesting resarch concerning a home made mass meter using th=
carman-vortex princip and used ultrasonic pickups and senders to detetec=
t mass
( i skip the long tale here). After 2 more years i saw that everyone now=
days
took the speed/density way with a simple MAP-sensing and now i work with=
 that
in my last home made EFI. The disadvantidge is extensive programming and=

mapping everytime you build a new turbo engine (about every year for mee=
)
otherwise its only advantages as i see. =

So skip some years and trow away your flap-meter if you are interested t=
o get
some more power and respons out of your nice car, thats my advice (but i=
 have
endless patiens and inventive glow!!)!

Hope i did not hurt any feelings!

Cheers,