Opinions on idea .....

Peter Wales pjwales at magicnet.net
Fri Jan 19 14:31:34 GMT 1996

>I was intending to use an O2 sensor in my own system but only as a first
>approximation, primarily to give me an idea of volumetric efficiency at
>various rpm and perhaps to calibrate the airflow sensor.
>Your response above, infers (to me anyway) that you can tell a bit more
>than this. I would have thought that 'seat of the pants' would fall in
>between an O2 sensor and a dyno as scientific apparatus.
>What have I missed ?

The problem will be in the steady state conditions. It will be very
difficult to tell that the fuelling is correct when travelling on a road at
50 MPH. You could adjust it quite a long way to go from too rich to too lean
andthe engine would just run the same. The situation when you are
accelerating is different as the fuelling will have to be closer to correct
to run nicely.

So, if you get the fuelling correct at steady speed, when you accelerate you
will only have to supply a small amount of enrichment to get smooth
acceleration without hesitation or bogging.

Peter Wales
President Superchips Inc Florida
Chairman Superchips Ltd Buckingham
"Timing is everything"