O2 Sensor type?

robert dingli r.dingli at ee.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Jan 22 05:46:10 GMT 1996

Hi Mark,

since this discussion is getting a little off the diy-efi track, I'm
replying personally.

> They used to be that price !!!!

Perhaps there has been an upgrade??  The circuit is quite complicated.

> I used the UEGO it on racing engines mainly.

Tell me more..

> This engine of yours sounds interesting. Whats your BMEP and hows your NOX?

The engine uses a novel Hydrogen Assited Jet Ignition (HAJI) ignition
syetem which gives stable ignition out to extremely lean operating conditions.
The HAJI injector fits into the spark plug hole and contains a direct injection
hydrogen injector, a very small spark plug and a small prechamber.  The
hydrogen is only for ignition and only provides a tiny fraction of the
input energy.  The combustion occurs over a very short period, an order of
magnitude less than conventional ignition.  It may have applications in
high speed racing engines (>20000 rpm).

Back to your questions..

The BMEP is what you would expect at those operating conditions as apart
from stable ignition, the system doesn't increase that energy output.  At
lambda 2, the NOx is around ambient and certainly at the lower limits of
our ~$30000 NOx measuring apparatus.

The system is currently being tested on a single cylinder optical CFR which
has a see through piston crown for combustion analysis.  We have also
tested it on the same Lancia 16V 2 litre which I use for my control work.

There are many more details on the HAJI www site.  I don't know the
address exactly, but you can find it by doing a net search on HAJI or
even through the University of Melbourne, Mech Eng and then the Transport
Energy Group.

Robert

>                  MRB Design
PS what do MRB Deisgn do??

             Robert Dingli           r.dingli at ee.mu.oz.au

Power and Control Systems                 Thermodynamics Research Lab
Electrical Engineering                    Mechanical Engineering
   (+613) 9344 7966                          (+613) 9344 6728
  University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3052, Victoria, AUSTRALIA