Cyberdyne A/F meter

Mike Wesley - SLIP mwesley at mail.oeonline.com
Wed Jan 24 16:54:34 GMT 1996

On Sat, 20 Jan 1996, Jim Pearl wrote:

> I don't mean to sound skeptical of your results but if the Cyberdyne =
> gauge is using a standard sensor it's nearly impossible for it to do the =
> things you've described. The readout from the "standard" sensor(s) is =
> NOT linear and they operate more like a light switch than any sort of =
> A/F sensor (so I've been told many times). Just out of curiosity - did =
> you ever compare the readouts given by the gauge with a true A/F meter =
> such as a Horiba? If they compared closely I'd believe it otherwise I'm =

We did just that. I compared 5 different 'guages' with 50 O2 sensors
against a Horbia, Bosch LA2, and NTK 5001 and none of them were even
close. We would see A/F errors of up to 3 full points off. The 'guage'
would read '12:1' and actual would be more like 9:1! Of course it would
vary for sensor to sensor, but out of the 50 sensors we tested, NONE were
close. They were real good around stoich, but above or below that. O2
sensors used were from Bosch, Tomco, and NTK. The stock O2 sensors are
too non-linear away from stoich to be useful. Of course if one has spent
money on a 'guage' it's hard to convice them otherwise. Similar testing
was also done at Bosch with the same results (compare aftermarket 'guage'
to real A/F ratio measurement devices).
Mike...