Re Lambda Sensors

RAGHBIR SIAN sian at mail.bogo.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 11:59:00 GMT 1996

As the debate about Lambda sensors has been increasing on the list i have
decided to release some information that i worked out a while back working
for an O.E manufacturer. (no names mentioned.)

I measured the values of Voltage by comparing the lanbda display using a
Bosch Motorsport lambda conditioning module which is horrendously expensive
and is used by most major racing teams not to mention O.E. manufacturers all
over the world.

The table is for an isolated ground (4 wire) NTK EGO sensor. I repeat this
table is only valid for the above sensor.

The table is as follows:

LAMBDA	O/P (mV)
0.64	1188
0.66	1153
0.68	1133
0.7	1130
0.72	993
0.74	973
0.76	953
0.78	933
0.8	913
0.82	904
0.85	891
0.87	883
0.9	871
0.92	854
0.95	829
0.97	798
0.98	782
0.99	616
1	450
1.05	194
1.1	47
1.15	35
1.2	30
1.25	24
1.3	21
1.4	18
1.48	15

Yes it does switch as you can see the gradient changes at three major places
substantially. I do not want budding mathematicians to tell me that the
gradient changes more than 3 times, i kNOW so save it. I did mathematics too.

You should be grateful that somebody has released information like this.
Don't tell me you could have done it better cos you haven't done it yet.

I hope this will answer alot of the questions asked on the list regarding
lambda sensors.

The test was carried with both the Bosch sensor (reference) and the NTK
sensor placed more or less (+ or - 2mm) the same distance from Exhaust
manifold and paced at 180 degrees to each other so as to minimize the
temperature and gas composition differential between both the sensors.

Regards

R.S.Sian

  Raghbir Sian
Engine Control and Combustion Analyst

"As Always A ***CONTROL*** Freak"
A committee is a group of the unwilling, chosen from the unfit, to do the
unnecessary....   Anonymous
Life is just one damned thing after another...  Joseph Heller
Time spent on any item of the agenda will be in inverse proportion to the sum
involved.

E-mail: sian at mail.bogo.co.uk