Identify This ECM

FIScot at aol.com FIScot at aol.com
Thu Jan 25 12:44:55 GMT 1996

    Subj:   Identify This ECM
    Date:   96-01-24 23:52:31 EST
    From:   ravalent at liii.com (Bob Valentine)

  > Can anyone identify it from these numbers:

  > Service Number: 1227165
  > Sticker on ROM: Delco ABYA 5400
  > Sticker inside box: 5088365
  > Barcoded sticker on harness connector: 310038212158301

  > Are there any simple tests I can do on the unit to see if it's alive,
  > aside from powering it up and hooking up a check light?   I don't have
  > access to a TPI car to try it in.

    Bob, That service number ECM is used in 86-89 Camaro TPI's and maybe
    Corvettes from the same era.  I don't know from the ABYA whether it is
    305/350, standard or automatic, but if you could send me the code, I
    could look at it and tell you what it was intended for, and also
    whether the PASSKey is enabled.  (If so, you would have to substitute
    the PASSKey signal, or modify the EPROM.)

    The 89 models did not use the cold start injector, and would not have
    the 9th injector connection in the harness.  The 86-88 models did use a
    cold start injector.  All model years 86-89 also used a MAF, not a MAP
    sensor.  If you are looking for a cleaner looking installation, I would
    consider using a MAP based system.

    If you have DIACOM, power the unit up and see if it communicates!
    Otherwise, it is hard to tell just from the CEL the exact status of
    the ECM.

    Scot Sealander   FIScot at aol.com