Cyberdyne A/F meter

Mike Wesley - SLIP mwesley at mail.oeonline.com
Thu Jan 25 15:33:52 GMT 1996

On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Timothy Coste wrote:

> Hey Mike,
>
>    Be careful at 9:1.  I was flipping through our Horiba manual and
> it says that the sensor life can be measured in tens of hours when
> run that rich.  I can't quote the numbers right now (it was actually
> late last week I was reading up on it) but the way rich running
> just kills the poor suckers.  And our university budget can't take
> replacing $900 sensors once a week.  Hopefully your budget is better
> than ours though. :)  Just though I'd mention it in case you weren't
> aware.

Yeah, the UEGO's don't live too long under extreme conditions. When I was
at Ford, we could only use them for 3 hours with continuos operation at
WOT and then they would go south. I wrote some software for Ford that
would control the dyno sweeping fuel and spark at WOT to find MBT, BDL
and LBT so we would be at WOT for extended periods.
 For my racing company, I normally use
my Bosch LA2 with the LSM11 sensor. It can take more abuse and is quite
accurate except for extreme lean conditions. Plus I can tap into the
LSM11 output and feed that into the EEC-IV so it can use the LSM11 for
closed loop and I can monitor lambda. Saves me from having to put an
extra bung in the exhaust. I should have a low cost A/F ratio tool
available real soon. Just finshing up the temperature compensation. Good
from 9:1 to 24:1, datalogs A/F, RPM and spark advance for analysis, and
it's cheap >$700!
Mike...