Engine codes for '84 T/A

Steve Ciciora scicior at cp.uswc.uswest.com
Thu Jan 25 19:52:46 GMT 1996

> From owner-diy_efi-outgoing at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu Thu Jan 25 12:42 MST 1996
> From: Markus Strobl <eusmsrt at exu.ericsson.se>
> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 11:12:07 -0600
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: Engine codes for '84 T/A
>
> > PS a company called DIACOM makes software that can read the serial data and
> > print the engine diagnostic information to a IBM PC/AT via RS232 for $300.00
> > 800-888-4146
>
> Yes, but doesn't the diacom package contain some kind of interface box? I
> know GM PCMs use a weird speed, 8192.

  Well, it acutally hooks up to the parallel port.  And the instructions
imply that the software has to initialize the hardware molded into the
specialized cable.  Have not gotten around to look at what goes in and
out of this cable yet, since I no longer need to home-brew an ALDL interface.
The only reason I can think of for there to be hardware in the cable is
so that my 4.77 MHZ laptop can still read in 8192 baud data.  I imagine
a faster computer can just pole the parallel port and read in the data
that way.

> BTW, if anyone has ANY info on the new OBDII boxes (ie how to communicate
> with them), PLEASE drop me a line. I would love to hook up my PC to it.
>
> Markus Strobl                96 Z28 6M

-Steven Ciciora