Engine Reversal and EFI

Markus Strobl eusmsrt at exu.ericsson.se
Sat Jan 27 01:23:13 GMT 1996

> ~ >If the old transmission was just and overdrive tranny with a lockup
> ~ >converter (e.g. 700R4, etc), the wires only control the converter.
> ~
> ~ Don't use a 700R4 (4L60, -E) without the lockup converter!
> ~ Modifications are necessary to increase cooling or the extra
> ~ heat generated by the slippage in the converter will burn it
> ~ up.  I think it is ok to run some of the older ones with out
> ~ lockup - 350-C, etc.
> ~
> ~
> When I posted, I assumed that the swap was not using the 700R4.
> You are right - run this tranny without converter lockup in overdrive
> will toast it in short order.

Hmm. I know of people running 700-R4s without lockup converters, and they're
doing fine. actually, one guy started out by using a lockup converter and fried
2 (!) trannys. His engine puts out ~420 hp and the converter failed, trashing
the tranny. On the 3rd tranny he put in a non-lockup converter and sofar everything
is fine.

FWIW

Markus Strobl                96 Z28 6M Black/grph. Borla, !CAGS, PEG2, QLC
Dallas, Texas                1LE driveshaft,  Honker, T-tops,  CD, leather
F-member 9/93                14.09 @99.40   - When stock -  27.5mpg @85mph