Sensor Questions?

Wayne Braun Wayne.Braun at Develcon.com
Tue Jan 30 15:38:19 GMT 1996

        Stuff Deleted...

>    In the GM ECM's, whether you are in CL or not, the ECM is running
>    through the same 'preprogrammed' code.  Closed loop adds the ability
>    for the BLM to learn.  If not in closed loop, the BLM is still used,
>    and if not altered by a complete power off, will still correct the fuel
>    mixture from what it has learned.
>
>    Part of the equation is:
>
>    Fuel = Integrator * BLM * (rest of fuel calculation)
>
>    In open loop, the integrator is set to neutral.  The BLMs are whatever
>    has been learned, so the fuel correction still goes on.  One caveat is
>    that some ECMs will check (and reset) the BLMs at ignition power on for
>    a tighter limit than is allowed during normal operation.  The same
>    things happen when in PE, i.e., the integrator goes neutral, and the
>    BLM is whatever has been learned.
>
>    The only thing that closed loop adds is the ability to learn, and
>    the integrator (with help) keeps the fuel about 14.7 AFR.
>
>    Scot Sealander   FIScot at aol.com

        O.K. call me what ever names you would like here ***BUT*** what are
the acronyms BLM and PE  supposed to stand for?????

        Yes I know in this context, CL is Closed Loop and conversly OL would
be Open Loop.

        Many people seem to neglect to explain the shortened terms that they
use. In a lot of cases, no one questions this. After all, if you do not even
know what "THAT" means well you obviously don't know much at all. Well fine,
I'll admit it, I don't. So educate me a little and explain what you mean.

        Unfortunately, this points directly at Mr. Sealander and I do not
mean to single him out as the only person that does this. After all, he is
NOT the only person that does this. I ended up re-reading one paragraph
several times ( in someone elses posting ) before the term "catcon" fell
into place as meaning catalytic converter.

        In North American automotive circles, when someone writes SBC, you
can be reasonably assured that what they mean is the Small Block Chevrolet
engine. However, this may not necessarily be the case in Germany, Sweden, or
Australia. I an sure that each of these countries has developed their own
set of abbreviations that have little or no meaning here ( unless explained ).

        If we could just be a bit more carefull about how we explain things
some of the postings would be a lot clearer.

        Mr. Sealander, I do enjoy reading the information that you have
provided even if I sometimes have to work to understand them ( that may not
be a bad thing either 8^)).

        Regards
        Wayne Braun
Wayne Braun  Product Support Develcon Electronics
Email: Wayne.Braun at Develcon.com                 HTTP://WWW.Develcon.com
Phone: (306) 933-3300 or  1-800-667-9333     FAX: (306)978-8860