Still more questions...

Jim Staff staffj at freenet.msp.mn.us
Tue Jan 30 23:56:43 GMT 1996

   Thanks to everyone who's been keeping me informed about all this stuff. I've
made a great deal of progress. To the point were I have it all the way down to
the timing system!!!!
    I've settled for a DAC for O2 and a DAC for temp. I'm using a standard CTC @
8mhz. So I have great resolution 2µs. I run it to a D type Flip flop for the
switching component. I address the counter, load the timer information. Then I
set the D flip flop to a 1 and trigger the counter at the same time. The counter
counts down after the trigger signal and then sends a +5V pulse at timeout. This
resets the Flip flop ending the pulse cycle.
    The Ignition system is being run most likely straight from a bipolar
transistor. Rated for 25V @ 5amps. A D typr flip flop is again used as an
addressable switch and is then fed into an or gate which resets the correct
position. (NOTE : The excess volatage is dropped by a series of 2 diodes that
sink 1.0V apeice. So a logic 0 at 1.67V worst case won't trigger the ignition. Only
a 1 @ >2V will do the job. as a normal 1 is 5v typical.)
    Question #1 : Can a magnetic field collapse in 125ns? If not what is the
recomended minimum time?
    The injection system for my application must be very small. Since a B&S 3hp
lawn mower engine has a very small cylinder.
    Question #2 : What is the typical flow of an injector? What is the
best/typical way to hook up a port injector? Part 3 what is the best kind of
fuel pump setup that I could use to power an injector?
    The last thing I have to do is to set up this stuff on my Briggs. I'll
probably weld a Port injector holder next to the intake port with a fuel line
hose attachment. I'll place my MAF sensor in a carb hood. The temp sensor I'll
put next to the MAF, and the O2 sensor next to the exhaust port as close as
possible because I have it set up as a straight pipe. But after I set all this
stuff up I need something to use as a model so could you answer problem #3.
    Question #3 : What is the general equation for air to fuel mixture? I know
is has a temp term, a fuel term (Å14.3:1 ideal), a MAF derived term (If I'm not
mistaken it pulses for every X liters/sec)

   Add in question : What are the specs on some MAF sensors, Temp Sensors, O2
sensors, and any general help about their placement..

   Thanks for answering my questions. I know I must be an horrible burden on
everyone but I have to beat Grand Rapids. <They are Generally Arrogant assheads
that make you sick> They obtained a bosch injector and adapted it to thier car
and got Å750 MPG. Our school ran stock class and got 128MPG wich won us 3rd
place!!!

                                    Jim Staff