G-Force Measurement

Chris Howard s2184002 at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Jul 4 16:13:50 GMT 1996

At 23:50 2/07/96 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi to all,
>I have been lurking on this list for quite awhile.  Although a G-meter is not
>strictly diy efi material, I know that many in the group may have an
interest or
>information regarding my inquiry.
>
>TO the point, I wish to either purchase or design an instrument for measuring
>the G-forces generated during cornering of a vehicle.  If anyone knows of a
unit
>made for this purpose, please reply and let me know.
>
>If I have to make one, maybe the adxl05 from Analog Devices would be the most
>suitable place to start, however I have not yet managed to get a hold of a
>databook/spec sheet.  What does anybody else think?

I have used an accelerometer from IC Sensors in a datalogging application.
The model is a 3028-002. It measures from +/- 2.2 g. Each unit comes with a
circuit for temperature compensation and linearisation which reduces the
error to around 0.5% from 0 to 1khz 0-50 degrees C. They are single axis and
fairly pricey I think. The sales rep gave me three free samples so I never
found out what the price was. :)

I can give you more info, circuit diagrams etc. if you require.

Chris Howard
Computer Science
University of New South Wales
email: s2184002 at cse.unsw.edu.au