Bosch Motronic AFM Spring Tension - Further Comments

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Thu Jul 11 20:11:10 GMT 1996

Brad Anesi wrote:

> Herewith the opinion of Don (ex-Alfa, now Fiat R&D):
>
> 9. Significant changes cannot be made by DIY, nor without a dyno.

	Not so, key driveability issues can and always will be attacked
by in car testing.  No dyno I've found yet can tell me how the thing
will lurch along in traffic.

> 11. There are other ways of increasing fuel delivery such as raising rail
> pressure, larger nozzles, with larger AFM. But the intake runners and
> valves have to be sized accordingly.

	But why, when the maps are so readily available?

> 12. Our experiences with DIY modified EFI systems do not yield
> measurable differences.

	We've taken 911 Carrera's from 214 hp Normally aspirated to
250+hp normally aspirated and all the way to 765 Hp turbocharged, I tend
to think that's measureable!!

> Conclusion: for DIY, it seems more cost effective to use carburetors and
> a modern ignition system, leaving original EFI system intact for use later
> at resale.

	This boy must be "SATAN", telling people on the DIY EFI list
that Fuel injection should only be used later for resale and that
carburetors are the only way to go.  What a Schmuck.  I'll put the OE
EFI stuff up against carburetors any day.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering.