EFI--Bosch Motronic

tom sparks sparks at probe.net
Mon Jul 15 16:18:53 GMT 1996

Land Shark <lndshrk at xmission.com>You wrote:  in regard to the Bosch Motronic
system.

 It MEASURES air .. calculates LOAD from AIR and RPM and a constant (based
 upon injector size) then corrects for operation conditions (maps)
 to yeild injector PW ..

So, let me see if I've got this straight.

1. Sensory information (air volume, engine speed) is taken in by the controller

2. Computations based on known, constant, well-established relationships
like gas laws and whatnot  are performed to come up with a pretty good idea
about         fuel demand, and relates that demand figure to injector gph
flow rating.  Presumably this yields a duty cycle number that is used for
the next step.

3. Then other sensory information (engine temp, air temp, throttle position?
manifold air pressure etc.) is used to search the lookup tables for the
appropriate             injector PW.These lookups are created through
empirical work on the dyno or on the track. -[are there computations made
here too?]

Am I getting this right? Please correct if not! But if I am getting it
right, could someone on this list please contrast this approach with the
approach Bosch takes on other systems they might make.  And also The
approach other manufacturers might take to the very same task.

I may be wrong but I think the answers to these questions would really help
out the budding DIYer and give them a global view of the process and perhaps
help them to break down the process into managable portions.

Feel free to tell me to put a cork in it and go read a good book. (But don't
forget to suggest said book :-)

Thank you and best regards,
Tom sparks