oil control

Roy Browning marvin2 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 16 02:31:52 GMT 1996

You wrote:

>Hey all you turbo gurus......
>
>Anybody have trouble containing oil in the turbos?  I have a setup
with 2
>brand-new turbos that leak oil badly into the hot section causing
great
>billows of blue smoke.
>Application is SBC with high volume oil pump which delivers about 90
PSI
>cold.  Oil supply lines are #4AN and drains are #6AN back to top of
oil pan
>just below the block.  I'm having trouble believing that BOTH units
could
>have been assembled improperly.  Is the oil seal a mechanical unit or
does
>it have some sort of "packing gland" that can be replaced?  Could I
have
>damaged it by excessive pressure, or could I just turn down the
pressure and
>hopefully solve the problem?  I've never read anywhere that too much
oil
>(pressure) is  bad for these things.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.....
>

>     Bill

The seal in the exhaust end of most turbo units consist of a single or
dual piston ring type seal with a mechanical slinger to keep most of
the oil away from the ring. if there is an oil leak then they must be
replaced. If someone rebuilt one turbo incorrectly it is very
conceivable that two or more were done so. I have had about 25% of the
rebuilt turbos I have installed fail within a few hundred miles. The
turbo seals are very critical and difficult to rebuild to exact
tolerances.

Best of luck,

Roy