EFI

Walter Kaufmann walter.kaufmann at sd.id.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 16 12:26:44 GMT 1996

>Anyone out there have any solid simple cheap ideas for a 5V power supply for an
>EFI system.  It should have good filtering and be able to supply constant
>output down as low as 8V and as high as 14V.  I hear that transient spikes as
>high as 200V can be seen after the voltage regulator on an engine - so it
>should be immune to these as well.  Any ideas?  I am using a DATEL DC-DC
>converter which works rock solid through all cases.  Unfortunately it is $130.
>The equivalent PICO unit is of equal cost.  I would like a solution for under
>$25.  Is this possible?  Thanks in advance.  BTW I think I need to be able to
>drive about 1Amp or so.
>
>- Z

The transient problem is known as load dump and is discripted in the data book
'protection devices' from SGS. A device like a zener-diode, named transil (SGS),
 recommended to cut the overvoltage....

I like 'National Semiconductor'...., they have a voltage regulator in a 11-pin
case and 3 outputs: 5V/500mA (or so) for CPU, 5V/100mA for sensors and 5V/20mA
(batteriebackup) for memory.

Some switching regulator named 'simple switcher' do the job too. 5V/1A in an
8 pin dip without cooling and a coil and a fast diode and two capacitors.
(They have some switcher for more than 1A..)

See http://www.nsc.com/ for more information

Some work but I think, it is cheaper as a DC-DC converter.

Any question?

Walter